1. Make a budget and stick to it. Establish your spending limits beforehand, and stick to them. If you have properly planned, a budget will keep you from going overboard and running out of money. Research your project carefully, shop around for the best prices and create a fail proof blueprint for success.
2. Avoid moving any plumbing. Do your renovations around your plumbing and pipes to avoid a major expense. Plumbing is not only expensive to change, it can lead to your problems that only a professional will be able to fix.
3. You can refinish porcelain sinks and vanity without having to purchase new ones. It’s not too expensive to make your tub, shower, or sink look shiny again. Re-grout between tiles and clean up the surface areas that have become discolored. It is easy to strip porcelain and bring it back to its original luster.
4. Resort to hiring help as necessary. If you have never attempted to do remodeling before, hiring a professional could actually save you money in the long run. The least you can do is consult with an expert before you begin to do the renovation yourself.
5. Know who you are hiring when choosing a contractor. Make sure you have looked into your contractor’s references. Get some recommendations from neighbors and friends. Let the contractor know that you would like to do a lot of the work yourself and see if this will cut your cost.
6. Make sure to ventilate. Ventilation will keep mold and mildew from forming in your bathroom. Before beginning your bathroom remodeling project consider how you will add ventilation. Knowing the basics of ventilating your bathroom will help you before you begin your project.
Hardware is an easy way to make an upgrade to your bathrooms. Replacing the faucets and fixtures in your bathroom will instantly improve the look and add to whatever style you are trying to achieve. Although this is one of the most cost effective ways to upgrade the room, be cautious when installing new hardware on older sinks or tubs, as they may be prone to cracking. Also, be sure your measurements match up before you start taking anything apart.
8. Lighting can be experimented with. Lighting can be changed very inexpensively and makes a good impact. Add mirrors and experiment with different shades of lighting to alter the mood of the bathroom. You can also have mood lighting for the bathroom at night with a dimmer switch.
Have fun fixing up your bathroom and enjoy the fact that you didn’t spend too much for it! These ideas will help you on your way to obtaining the bathroom of your dreams!